Faculty of Physical Education and Sport
Physical Education started to be introduced in schools in our region in the middle of the 19th century. In Banja Luka, it began to be taught, as a compulsory subject, as early as 1866 in the Seminary. Vaso Pelagić was among the first to introduce Gymnastics in 1886 and it was a compulsory subject/course, equal to all the other subjects/courses. In Banja Luka, a city of sports, the Teacher Training Academy had a Department of Physical Education from 1961 to 1970, from which 210 professors graduated. Only five years after the founding of the University, on 13 May 1980, the Department of Physical Education began operating. At that time, there were 10 lecturers at the University, who, in addition to teaching, also organized numerous competitions. The then President of the Republic of Srpska, Radovan Karadžić, PhD, passed a law in 1993 pursuant to which ‘the Teacher Training Academy in Banja Luka continues to operate as the Faculty of Philosophy in Banja Luka with study groups.’ The Faculty of Philosophy started operating a year later. It had ten departments, but no department of physical education. This department started operating only in the academic year 1997-98. By Decision No 06-13/97 of 19 September 1997 the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Srpska gave its consent for the establishment of the Department of Physical Education at the Faculty of Philosophy, University of Banja Luka. A total of 55 full-time first-generation students were enrolled, 26 of whom completed the studies.
There used to be a centre for the education of coaches within the Sports Federation. It is believed to have influenced the success of Banja Luka athletes, who won 87 medals at the European championships and 8 gold medals at the Olympics.
From the experience gained in four years of work, it was concluded that there was a need for separating the Department of Physical Education from the Faculty of Philosophy and establishing an independent Faculty of Physical Education. According to a feasibility study on separating the Department and establishing an independent faculty, the National Assembly of the Republic of Srpska adopted the decision, on its session held on 4 July 2001, to establish the Faculty of Physical Education and Sport. The Faculty started operating on 20 July 2001, assuming all the rights and obligations of the Department of Physical Education of the Faculty of Philosophy.
|+387 51 312 280
|+387 51 312 280
|University City, 1A Vojvode Petra Bojovića Blvd. Banja Luka, 78 000
|Dr. Borko Petrović, Full Professor
|Vice-dean for Teaching
|Dr. Radenko Dobraš, Full Professor
|Vice-Dean for Science, Research and International Cooperation
|Dr. Aleksandar Kukrić, Associate Professor